I did it!!! I did it!!! I met my goal!
After 4 months of training and running at least 2x a week (sometimes 4), I ran 3.2 miles this morning (aka...a 5K!!)!...in the wet, drizzle rain, and 32 degree weather. I ran it in 32 minutes. So about 10.8 minutes a mile. I'm telling you along this journey it's as much mental as it is physical. I started out near the end of October with really no plan but to just run. Um. no. Little did I know (after seeing my orthopedic Dr. for headaches) that my hips were off and running 3.2 miles IS a sport. I made it 2 miles on the whim before injuring my hip and knee. After the Dr. (who works for the Cowboys as well) did his reality check talk with me (dealing with athletics), I decided to slow down, get some better shoes, and start over. So, with the app on my phone (couch to 5k) I did it. :) Much smoother. Some things I learned along the way...
1. 3 miles is a LOT farther than what I thought! Drive it. You'll see!
2. I enjoy running outdoors over the treadmill.
3. Stretching before AND after is a MUST unless I want to feel it ALL day. ;)
4. Having a fun goal (such as the Hot Chocolate 5k race in Dallas this weekend) is required for me (mentally) to focus.
5. A running friend. YES!!! With much patience (since she's training for a marathon on the other days) she has encouraged me to get up at 6am, talk with me during the run, slow my pace down when I want to quit, and given me pointers. So sweet to have her ease me into the process.
6. I prefer the cold weather vs. hot weather to run in.
7. Josh gets just as much credit as he supported me, made sure kids stayed in bed during my early runs.
8. And...it IS a sport! I have so much more respect for those that run 5k's (or more) throughout the year.
9. It's just as mental as physical to tell yourself to keep going and don't give up!
I'm not athletic. Never have been. In fact, I'm fairly certain the reason in October to sign up for this race (benefiting the Ronald McDonald house) is for the huge chocolate bowl at the end and the cute jacket. And to check it off the bucket list (since I thought runners looked cool doing it!) Little did I know 3 miles was THAT long. Sad? I know. However, in the process it's been neat to see the mental and spiritual growth I have made. It's quite the journey. The question now is will I continue? I don't know really. I won't stop completely for sure. I'm just going to run and see where it takes me. I'm just so proud that I completed a goal for ME. :) So if you accidentally hear me blurt, "I did it!" you know exactly what I'm talking about. :)
And now on Saturday at 7:30am in Dallas, I'm so excited to have Josh join the race as we cross the line together!!
Beware: I may wear my jacket all day, everyday. Just know I do have others but couldn't miss the opportunity to wear this baby proudly until there's holes in it.
Wish us luck and prayers for safety are welcomed!! :)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Dad and I are soooooooo proud of you! We knew you could accomplish whatever you put your mind to!
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS for reaching your goal!
Love you,
Mom of the Athlete :-)